Monday, May 14, 2012

Round 7 2012


Life is full of surprises isn't it? Without surprises I think we would become complacent with our lot in life and resign ourselves to the fact that each day would bring a mundane impersonation of the day before and we would end up in a robot-like trance as we meandered aimlessly and listlessly through the years. Thankfully real life is nothing like that, and we don't have time to get used to what we are up to before the next surprise is upon us and we are thrust into the unknown yet again, trying to make sense of things and keep ourselves from being overcome with exhaustion from trying to keep up with all the surprises. In such a surprising world, there can be great satisfaction taken from being the instigator of a really good surprise. As those who took part in the Mothers Day Classic Fun Run on Sunday morning will attest, the Three Legged Houdini took great satisfaction in depositing a steamy brown surprise in the middle of the footpath just after the start of the fun run. The look on her face as she completed the execution of the surprise was one quite opposite to the look on the faces of a few unlucky runners as they narrowly avoided the requirement to get busy with the scrubbing brush and the Glen 20 when they got home. Once it dawned on me that I'd forgotten the poop bag and that I'd have to stand guard over the odour emitting creation I was really appreciating the impact of a surprise. Management was also surprised when we completed the fun run and noticed that I'd lost The Deputy on my travels. He didn't seem surprised and totally backed up my version of events as he was wheeled over the finish line by somewhat surprised defacto family. Management loves a good surprise just like the next person in charge, but she seems to be surprised at the same thing over and over again sometimes. For instance, each Friday night she emits a sound of what has to sometimes be called astonishment ( a sign of a really effective surprise ) when I tell her that yes I do intent to watch the Cats on the tele this weekend. You'd think after almost 10 years together that this would no longer cause any surprised like reaction, but no, it works every week. Also of note was her realisation, and subsequent animated surprise, when I stuck a bit of Saturday Night Fever on the household juke box, and started carving up the lounge room as I did the housework to the falsetto tones of the brothers Gibb. She even went as far as to say that my fervour for 70's disco was the sort of information I should have disclosed to her prior to popping the question, and that she might have taken this information on board when determining if she was prepared to enter into holy matrimony for the remainder of her functioning lifetime. I responded by suggesting that its exactly that sort of surprise that you need to wheel out every now and then throughout the phases of marriage and that it helps keep things up vibe and interesting. I wasn't surprised to be told that if I put this story in the paper and announced that I liked 70's disco I'd lose readers,  Stretch and G would take exception, and Management would crack down on any out of plan behaviour. We'll see how it ends up.

The games were a bit interesting this week with a few very hard to pick. What a big weekend for the boys at GWS and you had to be excited for them when they came home in the last quarter. It was a bad weekend for footy in Queensland though with both teams going down and things looking ordinary. The Tigers roared and I can't wait now until Saturday night to see them take on the Bombers at the G in front of what should be an 80k plus crowd. I'll be there this week to see it first hand, as well as the Friday night blockbuster between the Cats and the Pies. I hope the boys pull up their socks after the insipid performance against a very good crows outfit.

This week I'm tipping the Pies, Hawks, Swannies, Doggies, Bombers, Lions, Blue baggers and the Weagles. The comp is tight with Honkey Nuts skipping away with the 2 game lead . Keep up the good work and chat next week with a bit of a report on the trip to Melbourne.

Cheers

Scotty

No comments: